Roscommon County Council Cemetery Improvement and Maintenance Grant Scheme 2018
Roscommon County Council will consider applications from voluntary groups who are prepared to carry out improvements and maintenance works on cemeteries in their locality. Work which will qualify for grant aid includes:
Boundary Improvements – Repair of existing boundary fencing will be considered in preference to a new boundary.
Repairs to pathways.
Weed and Grass Control – The cost of lawnmowers, strimmers and other necessary equipment will be eligible for grant assistance. (See General Condition No. 3 below).
The cost of archaeological advice. A copy of the advice must be submitted.
- Groups allocated a grant must consult with Roscommon County Council’s Area Engineering Office regarding maintenance works proposals. Contact details for all offices are listed below.
|Athlone MD||090 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ballaghaderreen AO||094 email@example.com|
|Boyle AO||071 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Castlerea AO||094 email@example.com|
|Roscommon MD||090 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Strokestown MD||071 email@example.com|
- Where the cemetery is not under the control of Roscommon County Council, written consent of the owner of the cemetery must be obtained for improvement/maintenance works.
- The Group to whom a grant is allocated will be responsible for the maintenance of the cemetery (grass and weed control) for the year.
- All work carried out must be in accordance with the Office of Public Works guidelines The Care and Conservationof Graveyards. Any breach of these guidelines may result in the grant not being paid.
- Roscommon County Council’s Public Liability Insurance will cover the liability of Community Groups involved in the maintenance/improvement of Council owned cemeteries only, subject to the following conditions:
- Each group must consult with Roscommon County Council’s Area Office regarding proposals for maintenance/improvement works.
- Cover will not operate for demolition of walls, buildings, structures, tree felling, lopping of branches, use of chainsaws. These works, if required, must be undertaken by a competent contractor who must have adequate insurance and which must indemnify both the Community Group and Roscommon County Council.
- Cover will not extend to any person under the age of 16 years.
- Appropriate safety measures must be undertaken to safeguard participants in use of equipment/tools/ladders etc.
- Cemeteries listed on the Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): Under Section 12(3) of the National Monuments (Amendment) Act 1994, anyone proposing to carry out, or cause or permit the carrying out of any work at or in relation to such monument or place, shall give notice in writing of the proposal to carry out the work to the Minister for Arts, Heritage, Regional, Rural & Gaeltacht Affairs and shall not, except in the case of urgent necessity and with the consent of the Minister, commence the work for a period of two months after having given the notice. The notice, with full details of proposed works, should be sent to the National Monuments Service, DAHRRG, National Monuments Service, DAHRRG, Custom House, Dublin 1 D01 W6X0.
- It will be at the discretion of Roscommon County Council to approve or refuse a grant application and to decide the amount of grant to be allocated.
- Application for payment of the grant must be accompanied by appropriate invoices and receipts.
- In order to qualify for an award all groups must have a bank account, Tax Reference No or Charity No and provide details on the application form.
- In order to qualify for payment of a grant all groups must have Tax Reference No or Charity No.
Return completed form to:
Cemetery Improvement Grant 2018
Roscommon County Council
Roads & Transportation Department
Áras an Chontae
Roscommon F42 VR98
Tel: (090) 6637 325
Closing date for receipt of Application for Payment of Grant and all invoices/receipts: Friday 28thSeptember 2018.