A new framework for public engagement and participation, called the Public Participation Network (PPN) is currently being developed within each local authority area. The PPN will be the main link through which the local authority connects with the community, social inclusion and environmental sectors without prejudice to other consultation processes. There are currently 250 members of Roscommon PPN
The purpose of the PPN is to bring together community, voluntary and environmental groups so that they can participate in local decision making. Its purpose is ….
- To contribute and facilitate opportunities for networking, communication and the sharing of information
- To identify issues of collective concern
- To actively support inclusion of socially excluded groups, communities experiencing high levels of poverty, communities experiencing discrimination
- To encourage and enable participation in local decision making and planning of services
- To facilitate elections onto decision making bodies
- To support the Local Economic and Community Plan consultation and a strong voice of community on the Local Community Development Committee
- Support individual members of the PPN to develop their capacity and thereby participate more effectively in the activities of the PPN
All eligible groups who register with the PPN will have a vote.
Why should you join the PPN?
By joining the PPN your organization will get:
- Access to relevant information on funding & grants coming through the Local Authority.
- The opportunity to advertise your activities via the PPN Newsletter, website, emails etc.
- Access to capacity building and training events which will support you in your work.
- Access to information on decisions and proposals being made in Roscommon, ability to comment on and input to them, along with other PPN originations.
- An opportunity to network with and learn from other organisations in Roscommon who may be involved in similar type projects.
- The opportunity to become part of a Linkage Group for a Board or Committee of interest and be able to have your views heard and contribute to policy
- The opportunity to nominate members to sit on a Board or Committee on behalf of the PPN.